Take in Panoramic views of the Dartry and Ox Mountain Ranges at Raghly Harbour, County Sligo…
Designed by the famous Scottish engineer Alexander Nimmo and built in 1823, Raghly harbour is of great historic importance to the North Sligo area.
Located about 4 miles from Lissadell, and 8 miles from Mount Edward Lodge, the harbour was at one time extremely busy, having seven permanent harbour pilots on call all the time. The harbour also had a fish curing factory attached to it and served as a base for the Coast Guard until 1920.
The harbour, although with some recent modifications, still displays well preserved details from it’s original structure such as cut limestone steps and mooring posts.
The simple and well-constructed boat house is also of considerable interest and the harbour structures make an attractive group along with the, now derelict, coastguard station to the north-west.
Nowadays, the harbour is home to local fishing boats, recreational craft and a wide variety of sea birds.
There is also a very scenic 5km looped walk you can take from the harbour which takes in fantastic views of Rosses Point, Sligo Bay and Benbulben and Knocknarea mountains. Apparently this walk was also a great favourite of Sligo’s famous poet W.B. Yeats.